Do you find that by the time Friday comes around, you are ready for some comfort food? Here is an easy solution for those with a breadmaker machine. This is neither pizza nor bread but somewhere inbetween. It’s delicious served as plain bread or smothered in ingredients and served pizza-style.
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tbps olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 cups flour (I use 1 of multigrain, 3 of white)
- 4 tablespoons dry yeast
- Optional ingredients:
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Fresh or dried herbs to taste. I usually use rosemary.
- Cornflour for baking sheet
- Put the ingredients in the order listed into the bread machine. Set it on the dough/pasta setting for 1.5 hours.
- Remove the dough to a surface covered with the cornflour.
- Leave it there, covered, to rise for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle cornmeal onto the baking sheet / pizza pan you are going to use to cook the pizza.
Press the dough into shape on the baking sheet until it covers the whole surface.
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile set your oven to high (425°F / 220°C / Gas mark 7).
- Put the baking sheet with the dough into the oven and cook for a total of 20-30 minutes.
- If you are going to add toppings, take it out of the oven after 10-15 minutes, add the toppings and return for the remaining time.
I like to smother the bread with tomato sauce, salami or ham and sprinkle it with olives or mushrooms, but anything goes. It’s best to pre-cook anything that requires cooking (such as bacon, asparagus or onions, for instance).
Try this out with a Chilean Carménère, such as:
Emiliana Signos de Origen 2011
Liquorice, cherries, plums and leather on the nose with a big, friendly mouthfeel and high acidity. Superbly held its own with pizza.
Apaltagua Gran Reserva Envero 2013, Colchagua Valley
93% Carménère, 7% Cabernet Sauvignon. Upfront vanilla and cinnamon followed by red fruit and blackcurrants with a slight hint of yogurt. Very elegant, ripe tannins, good acidity, creamy with a touch of ashtray in the mouth.
Undurraga Aliwen Carménère 2012
A nice, well-balanced, easy-drinking wine with red fruit and spices. Astringent tannins but a nice, fruity finish.